Chat applications are very common in social networking sites, dating sites and other web applications where you need your users to interact with each other or even to site admin. Previously, there were many PHP chat applications which needed page refreshing annoying the users. Then came AJAX chat applications which doesn’t need page refresh and looks very similiar like any flash chat applications. Following is a list of PHP AJAX chat applications you can use in your web applicaitons for free.
- phpFreeChat is a free, simple to install, fast, customizable and multi languages chat that uses a simple filesystem for message and nickname storage. It uses AJAX to smoothly refresh (no flicker) and display the chat zone and the nickname zone. It supports multi-rooms (/join), private messages, moderation (/kick, /ban), customized themes based on CSS and plugins systems that allows you to write your own storage routines (ex: Mysql, IRC backends …), and you own chat commands. View Demo
- Mia Chat is an Ajaxed PHP chat application which is very simple to use & install. It functions similar to the messenger applications, you can add buddies, chat with several users at the same time, change your online status & more. View Demo
- Blogoscoped is avatar based ajax chat application built in PHP. This chat program doesn’t need any special plug-in (like Java or Flash) but simply runs in your browser. It was tested with Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 1, and to some degree Konqueror.
- AJAX Chat is a simple productive an light weight chat application which can be used in your PHP applications.
- toksta is a free instant messenger, which is easy to implement and customize into your social networking site or forum. toksta* IM enables your users to chat via text chat or webcam in real time – without having to switch to programs like Skype, MSN or ICQ!
It is a hosted application that can be integrated to your website & user database. With this feature, your users won’t have to re-login to the messenger. toksta* also provides plug-ins for phpBB2, phpBB3, punBB, phpMyForum and vBulletin.
All the above chat applications are for free but please read their terms and conditions before use in commercial applications.
Shout me your experiences with the above applications their pros and cons. If you like this post kindly subscribe to our RSS for free updates and articles.