An extension is a small program or add on to Firefox and they have been around for as long as Firefox has. These extensions give you a super power if you will (or at least lets you do something you couldn’t do before.) Like automate things you do often or integrate a service right in your browser. Firefox gain popularity becuase of such extensions/addons, but keep in mind that each extension will take its share of memory so use as many as you like but i would advice to disable whichever you do not want.
- Morning Coffee : This extension allows you to set a group of websites to open (each in its own tab) with the click of a button. This will save you from having to roam through your bookmarks to view your favourite sites. So, if you enjoy CNN, BBC and Techcruch all you have to do is click and this extension will open all of them in seperate tabs for you.
- Flashblock : Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.
- NoScript : Firefox on Linux is not safe either so NoScript is one of the best tools for making sure your browsing experience is secure. With NoScript, you can disable active content from any site you don’t trust. Unless you configure it to allow JaveaScript, Java and other executable scripting to run from a site, NoScript will completely block the script, keeping you browser safe from known and unknown exploits.
- SecureLogin : Secure Login is a login extension for Mozilla Firefox integrated password manager. You don’t have to remember all your logins and passwords.
- ColorfulTabs : ColorfulTabs gives each open tab a different color, making it easier to distinguish between them. With this simple extension, you can colour-code tabs either randomly or according to URL. You can also set tabs to fade. Another fun feature is that you can set a background image for tabs.
- Del.icio.us : This extension for Firefox tightly integrates your bookmarks into your browser, making it easy to search, sort, and view your bookmarks. It automatically syncs throughout the day with your del.icio.us account and makes it easy to keep your bookmarks at your fingertips on any computer you use.
- BBCode : This extension will make your forum work quite a bit easier, as well as faster. This helpful extension adds BBCode, HTML and XHTML symbols and formatting to the context menu. BBCode also allows you to add up to 10 custom tags to your menu. This extension shows itself when you’re in a forum and you right-click a text area where you can select the tag you want to add from the menu.
- BlogRovR : Instead of wasting time going to your favorite blogs, let this handy extension fetch them for you. You do have to sign up for an account using this extension (they promise they won’t spam you) and you will be asked to install another sidebar (Stickies), which is not necessary.
- Fireftp : FireFTP is a free, secure, cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla Firefox which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers.
- iMacros : A must have extension for power surfers. This extension automates pretty much anything you do in Firefox. From opening up sites to filling out forms and even administration work — you can automate it with iMacros. The iMacros extension has a sidebar that shows favorite macros. It also has a record feature that allows you to create macros by simply clicking Record, going through the motions of the macro to be created, and clicking Save.
- Fasterfox : This makes Firefox load pages faster. Speed of page loading can be increased by allowing simultaneous connections and pre-fetching. This extension is currently in the experimental stage because of the release of Firefox 3.
- IE Tab : There are few sites which are best viewed in IE but this plugin will help you not to open IE and it will open an IE tab inside your Mozilla/firefox. Cools isn’t it?
- TinyURL Creator : Twitter users knows that in order to post within 140 chars you needs very tiny url. This extension shrink any long URL or link in the page to something you can email or Twitter using the TinyUrl service with a single click in your browser.
- Download Statusbar : This extension will let you view and manage downloads from a tidy status bar – without the download window getting in the way of your web browsing.
- SeoQuake : Seoquake is a powerful tool for Mozilla Firefox and for Internet Explorer, aimed at helping web masters who deal with search engine optimization and internet promotion of web sites. Seoquake allows user to obtain and investigate many important SEO parameters of the internet project under study on the fly.
If you’ve got any thoughts, comments or suggestions for things we could add, leave a comment! Also please Subscribe to our RSS for latest tips, tricks and examples on cutting edge stuff.